Mini dental implants from Spokane Valley, WA dentist Dr. Craig Ellsworth at Family Dental of Spokane Valley may be a good option for patients who are interested in dental implants but do not have enough density in their jawbones to support a traditional implant.
Dr. Craig Ellsworth will walk you through all the tooth replacement options, including mini dental implants, so you can find one that is most appropriate for you. Call our Spokane Valley, WA dentist office at 509-850-3217 for a consultation with Dr. Craig Ellsworth.
Dental Implants and Bone Mass
While dental implants are a popular choice for replacing teeth, they are not for everyone. Some people lack enough bone mass in their jawbones to support a dental implant. While Dr. Craig Ellsworth can perform a bone graft to boost your bone mass, you may not be interested in undergoing this additional treatment. In addition, not all are good candidates for bone grafts.
Other reasons a dental implant may not work for you are:
- You have received radiation treatments to your jaw
- You take certain medications, such as bisphosphonates
Fortunately, mini dental implants may work well for you. Mini dental implants are similar to full-sized dental implants. The primary difference, as you can guess from their name, is that they are smaller. A consultation with Dr. Craig Ellsworth is the best way to determine which dental implant option is best for you.
Mini Dental Implant Advantages
The advantages of mini dental implants include:
- You may be able to get your replacement teeth right away. Once a traditional dental implant is placed in your jawbone, it takes a few months for the bone to fuse around the implant so it is stable enough to support replacement teeth. But after Dr. Craig Ellsworth carefully places mini dental implants, they can often support a dental crown, a dental bridge, or dentures immediately. Dr. Craig Ellsworth will decide whether immediate placement is an option or whether it is advisable to wait.
- They are less invasive than traditional dental implants. Because they impact your jawbone and surrounding tissue less, you will likely experience less discomfort with mini dental implants.
- They are often less expensive than traditional implants because they require fewer visits and will not require a bone graft.
Mini dental implants or traditional dental implants? Many factors must be considered to determine which is right for you. Call Family Dental of Spokane Valley in Spokane Valley, WA at 509-850-3217 to meet with Spokane Valley, WA dentist Dr. Craig Ellsworth. Or use our online form to make your appointment.