Maybe you’ve lived with a crooked smile your entire life, but haven’t had the means to do something about it. Perhaps you’ve been afraid you’ll end up looking like an awkward teenager with a mouth full of metal.
But here you are, ready to straighten your teeth, boost your self esteem, and get the gorgeous, confident smile that will make an impact on every interaction. And you’re in luck. At Family Dental of Spokane Valley, we offer an amazing variety of choices when it comes to orthodontic solutions. And they are better and far more discreet than the unattractive metal braces of decades past.
To book an orthodontic consultation for yourself or your child, call Family Dental of Spokane Valley at 509-850-3217.
A Straight Smile Is a Healthier Smile
A crooked smile is unsightly and embarrassing, but did you know that it can also diminish your oral health? Teeth that are crowded, crooked, or misaligned will not fit together properly. This causes abnormal wear and potential damage to your tooth enamel and gums. Teeth that aren’t straight are more difficult to clean, leaving you vulnerable to cavities and gum disease. They may also put pressure on your jawbone, which can lead to debilitating facial pain and headaches.
For severe orthodontic problems, traditional metal braces are often the most effective treatment. They remain popular for teenagers, as they are less expensive than other options and are foolproof: the patient doesn’t have to remember to put them in and take them out multiple times per day, every day.
Metal braces utilize brackets attached to the teeth and a thin wire that applies pressure and moves the teeth into the desired position.
Happily for you (or your teenager), modern metal braces are much smaller and less obvious on the teeth than old-school braces. Plus they move the teeth more quickly and with less discomfort. Far from being obsolete, traditional braces are better than ever before and the best solution in many cases.
Six Month Smiles
Like conventional braces, Six Month Smiles uses a system of brackets and wires to move the teeth. But a number of key differences make Six Month Smiles an especially attractive choice for adults with cosmetic orthodontic issues.
- Six Month Smiles blends right in with your teeth, thanks to its clear brackets and tooth-colored wires.
- Six Month Smiles is fast: treatment typically takes — you guessed it — six months.
- Because the focus of Six Month Smiles is the cosmetic appearance of your teeth and not bite position, we are able to achieve your smile goal with a low amount of force and minimal discomfort.
- Results may be more predictable than with other short-term orthodontics.
Invisalign and ClearCorrect
Clear plastic aligners are enormously popular with adults who want to straighten their smiles. At Family Dental of Spokane Valley, we offer two fantastic products for aligner therapy: Invisalign and ClearCorrect. To discuss the differences and which one may be best for you, schedule a consultation with Dr. Ellsworth.
Beginning with the development of Invisalign in the late ‘90s, aligner therapy transformed the field of orthodontics. Turns out that there was a whole population of potential adult patients who would never consider metal braces, but were happy to submit to aligner therapy for a straighter smile.
The Invisalign and ClearCorrect systems both use a series of clear plastic aligners — digitally fitted and custom made just for you — that gently and gradually move your teeth into the desired position. You will change your aligner at intervals specified by Dr. Ellsworth.
The aligners are small, thin, and completely clear. Most people will probably not even realize you are wearing them.
A number of features make Invisalign and ClearCorrect distinct from traditional braces:
- They are removable. This means no avoiding foods out of fear they will break your wires or get stuck in the brackets. You take your aligner out for meals, and you can eat whatever you want. You can also clean your teeth like normal. For a very, very special occasion, you can even go without your aligner for a spell. (Although for treatment to be effective, you should wear it for 22 hours per day.)
- Invisalign and ClearCorrect are both constructed out of plastic. They have no sharp wires or hard brackets, and are more comfortable to wear than traditional braces.
- Clear aligners use very gentle pressure, and they do not require uncomfortable tightening.
- Treatment time with Invisalign and ClearCorrect is typically shorter than with conventional braces.
If you are ready to schedule an orthodontic consultation at Family Dental of Spokane Valley, fill out our online form and we will get back to you promptly. Or call our Spokane Valley, WA office at 509-850-3217.